Part-Time Economic Development Coordinator
The Economic Development Coordinator reports to the Director of Economic Development Policy and is charged with the Brooklyn Chamber’s programming as it relates to the merchant organizing and Business Improvement District (BID) formation efforts on 13th Avenue in Dyker Heights, Brooklyn. The position will act as an organizer of merchants, business owners, property owners, residents, and other stakeholders, with the primary goal of garnering support and collecting support ballots in order to form the 13th Avenue BID.
Beyond this primary focus, the position is responsible for assignments from the President and CEO, and for building Brooklyn Chamber membership and retention work.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Organize and conduct merchant meetings, and supporting the existing Merchant’s Association
- Door-to-door canvassing of local businesses in order to share information and educate them on the process of forming a BID, and the benefits and impacts of BID formation
- Serve as liaison to stakeholders including elected officials and other community organizations, and attend pertinent meetings including Community Board meetings
- Work closely with the Economic Development team to develop project strategy and long-term goals and objectives, as well as submit project updates to the Chamber’s senior management staff and the NYC Department of Small Business Services
- Identification of Membership prospects, and enrollment of new Members in the Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce
Qualifications and Skills:
- Previous experience in community organizing, grassroots organizing tactics, and coalition building
- Previous experience working with small businesses, and comfortable doing community outreach
- Strong communication skills, with relevant computer skills (Excel, Word, and other MS Office software)
- A “go-getter” attitude with a strong work ethic
- Organized, with an ability to prioritize time-sensitive assignments
- Ability to think creatively and “outside the box”
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team to achieve a common mission
- Multilingual (Mandarin/Cantonese) preferred but not required
Salary: This position is part-time and offers competitive hourly pay, plus performance-based compensation.
Please send resume, cover letter, and salary history to Sandra Purpura, HR and Administration, at firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Economic Development Coordinator”